We all need to be eating better. Eating better is at the top of nearly everyone’s personal aspirations list, yet so many of us fail to reach the goal. And that failure is costing us. There are a multitude of health problems associated with obesity. It’s so bad that obesity is considered the second-leading cause of death, after smoking.
The Lifestyle Meal Plan
If you want to build muscle, experience effective weight loss, and transform your life, you need a plan. Specifically, you need a meal plan. Without a lifestyle meal plan, nothing is going to happen, because very few goals get accomplished in life unless we plan and strive for them.
- Not having a plan isn’t working for us. Over half of the US population is currently trying to lose weight. A study done in 2016 by Mintel Diet Trends found that 70% of those who responded to the survey agreed they needed a strong support system if they were to keep to their lifestyle meal plan and accomplish their diet goals. Yet it’s a proven fact that 80% of dieters are attempting to go it alone. The evidence suggests that this isn’t working for most of us.
- We need accountability. One reason dieting doesn’t work well without a plan is that we’re simply not good at denying ourselves. When life gets tough, who is good at continually making it tougher by denying themselves a little treat? And then that little treat becomes a bigger one and a bigger one yet. Half of all Americans report that they aren’t good at losing weight because they lack self-discipline. Having a lifestyle meal plan and someone to be accountable to is the way to get the help we need to stay on track.
- Lifestyles changes are for the long-haul. Without a plan, we look at diets as temporary. Deny myself this week, lose some weight, then go back to snorking down snack cakes next month. This is horrible for our health, devastating for our heart, and actually makes weight loss harder. Losing as little as 5% of your body weight has been shown to dramatically improve your chance of getting heart disease, but that’s only going to happen if you can see your diet as a long-term lifestyle change: not a short-term fix.
How to Make a Plan
There are always a few people on the news who managed to lose enormous amounts of weight entirely on their own. While that’s great and their accomplishment shouldn’t be minimized, that’s not the general experience. Most people who experience real weight loss have a few things in common:
- They exercise daily
- They eat real food, not diet food
- They make weight loss goals that are attainable
- They prepare for the times it’s hard to stick to the goal
- They track their progress
- They make the environment around them more healthy
- They maintain their diet even on the weekends
- They track their food intake
- They plan their meals
- They get help
If you’re going to make a lifestyle meal plan that will be successful, you need help. You need professionals who can help customize a plan so it fits your needs, including your:
- Dietary preferences
- Nutritional needs
- Weight loss goals
- Health concerns
- Time and energy constraints
- Budget concerns
- Family concerns
Those are just a few of the things you have to take into account as you plan for a diet and exercise program that will fit you and really work. You need nutritionists and health professionals on your side who can make sure you’re getting the right foods while fitting a real meal plan and good exercise habits into your life.
Real weight loss and better health are attainable. Others have done it before you, and you can do it, too! You can transform your life: all you need is a little help. Look for nutritionists and coaches in your area who can help you to start eating right, exercising better, and get on track to be the best you you can be!