The health and beauty of our skin is what keeps us looking young. Therefore, it’s important to prioritize this at any age. But for women over the age of 50, in particular, skin care can become even more essential. To look and feel your best, we recommend the following tips to combat aging and keep you looking radiant.
- Moisturize: As we get older, our skin starts to lose its natural ability to moisturize itself. That’s why your skin care specialist will likely recommend you add a good moisturizer into your regimen. You’ll want to apply moisturizer to the face and neck (as well as some other areas like elbows, legs, and feet) both morning and night to keep your skin hydrated. Make sure your moisturizer is completely absorbed before applying makeup. This will keep your skin looking supple and healthy.
- Apply Sunscreen: While Americans of all skin types should wear a sunscreen with broad-spectrum protection of SPF 30 or higher, sunscreen application is essential as we get older. Since exposure to the sun can lead to wrinkles, brown spots, and even skin cancer, wearing a good sunblock can allow your skin to retain its beauty and health. Wear it even if you aren’t going out and re-apply every two to three hours if you’re in the outdoors.
- Use Lukewarm Water: You might be accustomed to washing your face in hot water or taking a steamy shower. But opting for a slightly lower temperature may be more beneficial, particularly when cleansing your face. The hot water can actually dehydrate your skin and make it more likely to look dry or dull. Using lukewarm or even cool water is a long-time beauty secret many celebrities and even skin doctors have sworn by. You might actually find you feel much more refreshed as a result.
- Get Facials: There are several different types of skin care services that can provide a host of benefits to women of any age. Facials are especially great for women over 50 because these treatments increase blood circulation, stimulate collagen production, and even eliminate toxins. Many skin care specialists offer treatments specifically for anti-aging, which can brighten the appearance of your skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines. Make it a habit to pamper yourself in this way when you can, as it’ll boost your confidence and restore your skin’s health.
- Be Gentle: Our skin tends to become much thinner as we age. That means we need to be a bit more careful with our skin later in life. While it’s fine to have skin care services performed by a knowledgeable professional, you should also remind yourself to be a bit more gentle these days. Don’t scrub with a hard hand or use any products that could be harsh on your skin. Instead, opt for products that are made for sensitive skin and use soft movements when you apply makeup and creams. Brushes and sponges are ideal makeup applicators for women over 50 for this reason. If your makeup removal method is too tough on your skin, you may be able to get some recommendations for products to use from dermatologists in your area.
Women ages 50 and above should typically increase their use of moisturizers and sunscreen, adjust how they cleanse their skin and apply their products, and explore the best types of skin care services for their needs. To find out more about how we can restore your skin’s healthy glow at any age, please contact us today.