Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder. Sufferers will stop breathing for between a few seconds to up to a minute or more. These episodes are called “apneas.” People who have this disorder may experience 60 apneas each night. During an apnea, the brain is deprived of oxygen. It is estimated that at least 18 million people in the United States suffer from sleep apnea. Experts say that between 2 and 4% of people around the country have undiagnosed sleep apnea. That means that one in 50 people are walking around with undiagnosed sleep apnea. These individuals are at risk for a number of health conditions and problems such an increased chance for having a stroke and heart disease.The gold standard in treatment is the continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. Many sufferers, who have found a CPAP machine for sale, do not use theirs. Here are some ways to making it easier.
- Use the CPAP machine during the day. One problem a lot of people have is that the CPAP mask makes them uncomfortable. Wearing CPAP masks during the day when you are watching television or are playing video games will start to get you used to having something on your face. That will make it easier to wear it when you try to fall asleep.
- Include your sleep apnea machine in your nighttime routine. If you make tit a point to use your CPAP machine every night, you will get used to it. This is really important because your CPAP machine does you no good if you are not using it as directed by your doctor. This can also lead to serious health consequences and can be very dangerous. The first step towards better health is using your machine on a regular basis.
- Making small changes to make your CPAP mask more comfortable. When you are at the store and looking for a CPAP machine for sale, ask the salesperson about how you can make the adjustments to the mask that may make it feel better and easier to get used to and wear all night. There are pillow that have bene developed to make sleeping with a CPAP machine more comfortable and more useable. The same place where you looked at the CPAP machine for sale, you may be able to get that kind of pillow.
- Get the right fit. The person who shows you the CPAP machine for sale should be able to help you get a mask that fits you the right way. If the apparatus is too large for you, you will end up pulling your straps tightly and it may make it all very uncomfortable. If you get one that is too small will not work properly and you will not get the right therapeutic benefits of the machine. Get the right fit and you will get the health benefits. This is a key factor in making sure you actually use the machine.
- Use saline solution. One problem a lot of people have with their CPAP machines is that they leave them feeling congested. Luckily, there are ways to combat this problem and make the process a little easier. If you use a saline nasal spray, it will help ease that congestion. If the saline alone does not take care of it, you can get a decongestant spray that will work better. If you experience this nasal congestion, do not let this dissuade you from using the CPAP machine.
- Make sure you clean your CPAP machine. Like anything else in your home, you need to have a schedule for cleaning your CPAP equipment. At least once a week, you will need to disassemble your CPAP equipment and give it a thorough cleaning. It is a good idea to put this on your calendar so that it is not something you forget to do.
- Use the ramp function. Some people have a hard time, at first, when they start using their CPAP machine because they are not used to the pressure of the air that is being pushed into their lungs. There are different settings on your machine.
It may take some getting used to but using a CPAP machine is important to staying healthy if you have sleep apnea.